Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bread Republic




I wouldn’t call Bread Republic a “hidden gem.” Those who should be “in the know” seem to know its flavors and charms well. Located on Hamra Street around the corner in an alley, Bread Republic livens a broad cobblestone ally with good food, good drinks, and pleasant service.

To my knowledge, Bread Republic has no indoor seating. Tables dot the ally while a door leads into a bakery where a variety of bread is made. I assume beyond that lays the kitchen. Two wine coolers chill a variety of red and white, and they also offer a selection of unique cocktails. Their coffee is good, as are their lemonades and juices.

I have visited Bread Republic for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and so far have been impressed by their purist approach to food- simple dishes featuring well seasoned, fresh quality ingredients . The breakfast menu features tasty omelets, some featuring unique Lebanese ingredients such as akoub, a spiny thistle well written about in a new favorite blog of mine.

I also enjoy a variety of their brushetta dishes. My favorite is a crusty toast served with a thick layer of lebneh (strained yogurt that has a rich cheesy feel) piled high with fresh oregano. I also was delighted by an arugula, prosciutto and shaved parmesan plate. This evening for dinner I had the pleasure of falling in love with a risotto topped with delicious wild mushrooms and thick slices of artichoke and the delicate taste of fresh lemon.

I have no doubts that Bread Republics free wireless, lovely breezy location and consistently good, satisfying food will keep luring me in on my way home...

2 comments:

Jim said...

I just fell in love with Clotilde Dusoulier

Kimberly said...

I think I did too.